Wednesday, March 20, 2019

BA DUNK, blink, DING

BA DUNK
BA DUNK
BA DUNK 
BA DUNK


This is the best way to describe the noise I heard as I was driving in the middle lane of the highway. I decided to take the next exit, just to double check my car. 

"Ok let me pull over slowly." 
"Alright I can go into this well seen parking lot with lots of cars and close the road so everyone sees me" 
"It's probably just a nail in my tire."

"OHH WHAT THE.......!?!" 
It was in fact, not a nail, but a bolt. A big, rusted, dust covered bolt (the image below was the closest example).


"Ok, well I am about 40 minutes from my home, and 50 minutes from my parents home, so I should just take the side streets, drive slowly, and go to my parents."

blink, blink, blink, blink

My hazards are on and I feel as if I am going over a speed bump each time my tire turns, but then all of a sudden its a smooth drive!

"Awesome, I just gotta make it home and I can take care of this!" 

DING
DING
DING

LOW TIRE PRESSURE!

Welp, there went my plans, I pulled over to the gas station, tried to fill the tire with air, and it was no use. I slowly kept driving, avoiding the Chicago potholes, railroad tracks, and apologizing in my head to all the drivers as I am going unbelievably slow.

"Finally! I made it!" 
Except now all I smell is burning rubber, and all I see is a shredded tire. My typical 50 minute trip to my family has now turned in 1.5 hours, I need to now change my tire, all these lights are dinging like crazy in my car, and I just wanted to surprise my family on a weekday. 


4 comments:

  1. OH! There is never a good time for a flat tire, is there? Your description is so vivid - especially with all the sounds! - that it made me think of the few times I've had a flat. My mother told me once that I absolutely should NOT drive on a flat: "10 miles is the MAXIMUM" she warned so I'm always nervous when something like this happens. I'm sorry your drive was slow and awful; hope that the tire change was easy and fixed everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - good luck to your grandma tomorrow! Here's hoping the transplant goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no!! I'm sure that was so scary having to pull over on the highway. I'm glad you were able to be safe though and get home :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Car trouble is the worst. I'm glad you were safe and I'm sure your family was happy to see you.

    ReplyDelete