Friday, March 8, 2019

Unexpected

I saw my phone light up, and the notification from my mom to our family group chat. I thought nothing of it, thinking it was a link to a silly video. When I finally checked my phone, I read the text.... and then reread it again, and again once more. 

BABA (grandma) GOT A KIDNEY!!!

My jaw dropped and my fingers began moving. I started asking questions such as: When?! How?! do we need to leave for Milwaukee right away?! 

Minutes pass before my mom begins to reply. She does not need to leave right away, they just received a call, and the most shocking news, it was a living donor. 

I had mixed feelings; confused, excited, worried? 

My mom explained this amazing person is part of an organization called livingorgans.com and the match has been made. 

I have had a lot of doubts about our world, if there is truly good people, and how come I always encounter the rude ones. But this individual has decided to help make my family feel complete again. 

4 comments:

  1. What wonderful news! I love the way you set up the first paragraph, keeping me in suspense until the all caps message. I was delighted when I saw it. Sending your grandma all the best for her surgery and recovery - and so glad that your belief in humanity has been restored!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pacing of your story was just right for me. I'm so happy for your family. It must have been a worry for quite some time. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story, Marina. This is wonderful news!!

    ReplyDelete